Boulder, Colorado is known for its scenic hikes, bustling downtown, and, of course, its craft beer. With over a dozen breweries in the area, it can be overwhelming to decide where to go for a cold one. Fortunately, there are plenty of options for every beer lover.
Craft beer enthusiasts will be happy to know that Boulder is home to some of the best breweries in the country. From classic lagers to hoppy IPAs, each brewery offers a unique selection of beers that showcase the creativity and passion of the brewers. Whether you’re a local or just visiting, a brewery tour is a great way to experience the brewing process and sample some of the best beer Boulder has to offer.
Top Breweries in Boulder
When it comes to breweries in Boulder, there are plenty to choose from. Here are some of the top breweries in the area:
Twisted Pine Brewing Co
Twisted Pine Brewing Co has been serving up delicious craft beer since 1995. They offer a wide variety of brews, from hoppy IPAs to rich stouts. Some of their most popular beers include Billy’s Chilies and the Ghost Face Killah.
Address: 3201 Walnut St ste a, Boulder, CO 80301, United States
Avery Brewing Company
Avery Brewing Company has been a staple in the Boulder beer scene since 1993. They are known for their barrel-aged beers and sours, which have won numerous awards. Some of their top brews include the Maharaja Imperial IPA and the Raspberry Sour.
Address: 4910 Nautilus Ct N, Boulder, CO 80301, United States
Upslope Brewing Company
Upslope Brewing Company has two locations in Boulder, and they offer a variety of beers, including their popular Citra Pale Ale and the Blood Orange Saison. They also have a rotating selection of seasonal and limited-release beers.
Address: 1898 S Flatiron Ct, Boulder, CO 80301, United States
Sanitas Brewing Co
Sanitas Brewing Co is a newer addition to the Boulder beer scene, but they have quickly made a name for themselves with their high-quality brews. Some of their top beers include the Black IPA and the Saison.
Address: 3550 Frontier Ave ste a, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Wild Provisions Beer Project
Wild Provisions Beer Project is a unique brewery that specializes in folder-fermented lagers and sours. They are known for their attention to detail and their commitment to using local ingredients whenever possible.
Address: 2209 Central Ave, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Asher Brewing Co
Asher Brewing Co is a certified organic brewery that offers a variety of delicious beers, including the Greenade IPA and the Tree Hugger Porter. They also have a spacious taproom where you can enjoy a beer and some food.
Address: 4699 Nautilus Ct S Suite 104, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Uhl’s Brewing is a family-owned brewery that offers a variety of classic and innovative brews. Some of their top beers include the Hoppy Amber and the Bock.
Address: 5460 Conestoga Ct, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Beyond the Mountain Brewing Company
Beyond the Mountain Brewing Company is a small brewery that focuses on quality over quantity. They offer a rotating selection of beers, including the popular Hazy IPA and the Belgian Dubbel.
Address: 6035 Longbow Dr unit 109, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
4 Noses Brewing Company
4 Noses Brewing Company is known for its innovative and delicious beers, including the Raspberry Blonde and the Peanut Butter Stout. They also have a spacious taproom where you can enjoy a beer and some food.
Address: 8855 W 116th Cir #4, Broomfield, CO 80021, USA
Finkel & Garf Brewing Co
Finkel & Garf Brewing Co is a family-owned brewery that offers a variety of delicious beers, including the Hoppy Lager and the Milk Stout. They also have a cozy taproom where you can relax and enjoy a beer.
Address: 5455 Spine Rd, Boulder, CO 80301, USA
Boulder’s Beer Scene
Boulder is a city that takes its beer seriously. With over 20 breweries to choose from, there is something for everyone. Whether you’re looking for a pint of lager, an unfiltered IPA, or a brown ale, Boulder’s breweries have got you covered.
Many of Boulder’s breweries have taprooms where you can sample their beers straight from the source. Some even have outdoor patios where you can enjoy a cold one on a sunny day. If you’re looking for something to do while you drink, many breweries host events like trivia nights, comedy shows, and open mic nights.
For those who love live music, several of Boulder’s breweries have regular performances. And if you’re hungry, many breweries have food trucks parked outside, or even full kitchens serving up delicious bites to pair with your pint.
Boulder’s beer scene has received national recognition, with several breweries winning gold medals at the Great American Beer Festival. And if you’re looking to take some beer home with you, many breweries offer cans to go.
If you’re interested in learning more about Boulder’s breweries, brewery tours are available. You can also try your hand at homebrewing by attending a class or workshop.
But it’s not just about the beer – Boulder’s breweries are also committed to sustainability. Many breweries use locally sourced ingredients and strive to reduce their environmental impact.
Boulder’s beer scene has a rich history, with Charlie Papazian, the founder of the Great American Beer Festival, calling Boulder home. And if you’re a fan of Guy Fieri, you may recognize several of Boulder’s breweries from his show, “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.”
Whether you’re looking for a happy hour spot, a dog-friendly brewery, or a pint with friends, Boulder’s beer scene has something for everyone.
Boulder has a thriving craft beer scene, with many breweries offering a variety of specialty beers. Here are some of the best breweries in Boulder and their specialty beers:
- Twisted Pine Brewing Co: Twisted Pine Brewing Co is known for its experimental and unique beers. They offer a wide range of styles, including IPAs, stouts, and sours, but their specialty is their “Artisan Ale” series. This series features beers brewed with unusual ingredients like jasmine, juniper berries, and even squid ink.
- Avery Brewing Company: Avery Brewing Company is a staple of the Boulder beer scene. They have a wide range of award-winning beers, including their White Rascal, an unfiltered Belgian-style wheat beer, and their Island Rascal, a tropical IPA. However, their specialty is their big, bold imperial stouts, like their Tweak, a coffee-infused imperial stout that clocks in at a whopping 17.5% ABV.
- VisionQuest Brewing: VisionQuest Brewing is a small, family-owned brewery that specializes in Czech-style lagers. Their flagship beer is their Northstar Imperial Porter, a rich and complex beer with notes of chocolate and coffee. They also offer a range of lagers, including their Bohemian Pilsner, a crisp and refreshing beer with a spicy hop finish.
- Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery: Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery is a local favorite, known for its laid-back atmosphere and live music. They offer a range of award-winning beers, including their Hoppy Boy IPA, a classic West Coast-style IPA, and their Colorado Kind Ale, a hoppy and refreshing pale ale. They also host an open mic night every Tuesday, making it a popular spot for local musicians.
- McDevitt Taco Supply: McDevitt Taco Supply is a food truck that serves up delicious tacos and specialty beers. They offer a rotating selection of local beers, including some hard-to-find gems. They also have a great selection of Mexican-style lagers and refreshing summer beers, making it the perfect spot to grab a cold beer and some tacos on a hot day.
- Lee Hill: Lee Hill is a small brewery located in North Boulder. They specialize in barrel-aged beers, including their popular Big Shot Espresso Stout, which is aged in whiskey barrels with espresso beans. They also offer a range of sour beers, including their Raspberry Provincial, a tart and fruity beer that is perfect for summer.
- Flatiron Park: Flatiron Park is a large brewery with a spacious taproom and outdoor seating area. They offer a range of classic beer styles, including their Imperial Stout, a rich and complex beer with notes of chocolate and roasted coffee. They also have a great selection of IPAs, including their Hazy IPA, a juicy and tropical beer with a soft mouthfeel.
Overall, Boulder has a fantastic selection of specialty beers, ranging from experimental and unique to classic and traditional. Whether you’re looking for a refreshing summer beer or a big, bold imperial stout, there’s something for everyone in Boulder’s craft beer scene.